Beware the sun, not the mosquitoes.

And when we awoke at 5:30 a.m. it was still raining–so we said to each other, friend Denna and I, “We won’t be going birdwatching today!” So, we called the front desk at Loi Suites in Iguazu to ask them if our guide had called to cancel, but no. So we asked them to call to check. But, they said–NO you won’t be going in this rain. So, we settled back down for more sleep. At 6:30 a.m. the phone rings–the guide awaits in the lobby! We jumped out of bed and into our clothes and hustled down. I was careful to wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants, in case of mosquito attack. And we brought our raincoats–natch! However, for the first time in three weeks on our journey around Argentina–we didn’t put on sunblock–Sunblock! It’s raining cats and dogs–surely we’ll have to abort this trip before long. But–no. The sun came out before long-and the day was beautiful and sunny and bright. We tromped thru the mud to catch views of exotic birds, our guide using his recorded bird songs to call birds nearby. What a trip! We were treated to the guidance and expertise of an expert birdman and his trusty assistant. Then we dove thru the rainforest past the national park to a farm, slipping and sliding down the dirt roads all the way. The four-wheel-drive fared well and we were in good driving hands. Once at the farm we were passed thru a green field with pigs and various birds til we reached the great Iguazu river. We met our kayak guide and his crew. And we were off down the river in hard shell kayaks–Denna and our lead guide in one, the assistant and me in another, and the kayak guide and the equipment in one which looked like a picture of an American Indian canoe. We paddled for a long while in the sun before we reached a tiny island and stopped for a tasty lunch. .  Here we saw the first of many amazing butterflies. I began to feel heat from my face and realized the damage that was coming from my forgetfulness. My face and ankles were burned. So, on the trip back I used the hood of my raincoat to try to limit the exposure. But most of the damage was already done. I had worried about yellow fever as I’d not gotten the shot. I’d been wiser to worry about the sun.


About tangobunny

Pastor Bunny went on sabbatical leave to Argentina July 28-November 4, 2010, funded by a pastoral renewal grant from the Lily Foundation. It was her second visit to AR. Since then she's been back three more times and toured the country. She loves the Argentine people as much as the tango and calls Argentina her other home.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s